Friday, October 16, 2020

FRIDAY STIR FRY - Cooking


 

Are you a good cook? Do you enjoy cooking? 

I am not and I don't. I just never seemed to move past the simple fried foods, lumpy mashed potatoes, and canned veggies.  Even when I followed a recipe, it always seemed to fall short. I managed to feed my family for over 20 years but, none of my dishes have been passed down to their families. My husband was a pretty good cook, but he worked two jobs so I didn't feel right asking him to step in a lot. His mother passed her cooking skill down to him.  She could make a dirty dishcloth taste good.

I can remember my grandmother cooking on her old farmhouse stove. Throwing this in and that in, never measuring anything. And it all tasted wonderful. 

My mother, on the other hand, worked outside the home. We ate a lot of canned goods and frozen dinners. I don't blame her, but that was my training ground. My dad was a cook during WWII and would occasionally cook a big pot of chili or stew. And I do mean big. It was like he was still cooking for a platoon. And it was just mom and me. 

My daughter had a homework assignment to make an ABC book all about food. For H, she picked Hamburger Helper. That pretty much summed up my culinary wizardry. 

I think you need to have a chemistry degree to be a good cook. What spices go with this food? All purpose flour or self rising? What is the best way to cook a steak, etc? I still don't understand the difference between baking soda and baking powder. 

So, if you ever come to my house, don't expect any homecooked meals. In fact, if you want to eat, you should bring a pizza.

1 comment: