Friday, August 13, 2021

FRIDAY STIR FRY: Book Signings



 I don't like doing book signings. There I said it. (Hiding under my desk until the storm passes)

"What?? But, you are passing up the opportunity to meet your fans and sell some books." 

Uh, I don't have any fans except for a few friends and family. I also hate small talk. And I don't like sitting at a table smiling at strangers while they pick up the free candy and bookmarks I have scattered around. And then they move on with barely a glance at my books. I feel like I must give off a smell of desperation. "Please kind person, buy my book I slaved over for years. I know you'll love it as much as I do." 

And my bank account will enjoy the meager amount I will profit from a sale. That last sentence is meant as a joke. There is no money in writing anymore, unless you are Stephen King or Patterson or some celebrity with a juicy memoir people want to read. 

And then when it's all over, I end up packing up the same number of books I brought. But not as much candy or bookmarks. 

Maybe I would feel different if I showed up and there was a line out the door waiting on little old me. 

But, I doubt it. 

I'll keep writing and self publishing, but don't expect to see me sitting behind a table.

2 comments:

  1. Where's the faith, Wanda? You HAVE to get out their and promote to sell books. Some of us are actually making a bit of money, and some of us are making bank (not me, but I won't mention names here) Promotion, promotion, promotion. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not happening. I just don't enjoy it. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete