Friday, July 2, 2021

FRIDAY STIR FRY: Time For Camp


 I'm camping this July.

Before you ask where and when and how, let me explain.

National Novel Writing Month has what they call "Camp" in April and July. Instead of the 50,000 word goal they want you to write in November, you can do whatever word count you want. You don't even have to work on a novel. It can be a memoir, short stories, non-fiction, even a screenplay.

I have been working on a novel for at least ten years. I start, I stop, I start, I stop. I read through what I have, make notes, jot down ideas, and then nothing. It's a story I feel strongly about. It comes from a dark place. Putting my mom in a nursing home. A horrible time of my life. I have fictionalized it as a young woman coming back home after ten years to bury her mother. It explores her present and her past. I think it's a good story. I have roughly 40,000 words. 

A few years back, I submitted the first chapter in a contest and won second place, so I feel like I have something worth finishing.

My goal this month is to add at least 10,000 words. Right now I'm reading through it again just to get a feel for the characters. I really want this first draft done so I can move on. I feel it is holding me back from other work because every time I start something new, I think about this unfinished work.

Wish me luck! I definately need it. 

2 comments:

  1. 40,000 words is great. How much more are you trying to add? You got this. Good luck. Loved your first book.

    ReplyDelete