Monday, April 30, 2012

MOJO


I seem to have lost my mojo.
The original meaning of mojo was along the lines of magic spells and charms. But, the following definition is closer to what I'm feeling.

According to The Urban Dictionary:
mojo
N.
1. Self-confidence, Self-assuredness. As in basis for belief in ones self in a situation. Esp. In context of contest or display of skill.
2. Good luck fetish / charm to bolster confidence.
3. ability to bounce back from a debilitating trauma and negative attitude
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
How did I lose my mojo? I'm going to attribute it to a couple of things.
1. Old age.
and . . .
Oh, lets just go with that.

Old age encompasses most everything I'm feeling lately. I tire easily, my brain refuses to function sometimes, my joints tell me when the weather is changing. The thing is, I'm not really that old. I should have another good 20 years in me, but several incidents these last few months have made me feel like an aging prize fighter down for the count. The details aren't important. The bottom line is I don't want to do anything productive. And that includes writing. :-(

I'm hoping it's just a phase and I'll snap out of it. 'Cause this is no fun. I want to write and I want to pitch to an agent at OraCon. http://ozarks-romance-authors.com/

SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!

Have you ever lost your "mojo"? And if so, how did you get it back?








5 comments:

  1. Maybe you have a vitamin deficiency. When I feel real run down and don't want to do anything, it's usually because I'm not getting (or making or whatever) enough seratonin. But you might want to check with a doctor before your just go crazy taking vitamins.

    On your writing slump--been there. After my dad died, I read a lot and watched TV, movies, whatever to get out of my head. Starting dating, met and married my husband. I didn't write. No matter what I tried, I couldn't come up with a decent idea.

    I didn't write for five years. I don't think there's any forcing it. If you can't do it, you can't do it. Down inside, you know you should be doing it, but that doesn't really matter.

    Maybe this is bad advice, it might not be the kind of thing you want to do, but it can't hurt. Take the MS that you pitched last year and try it at some e-publishers. Depending on the length, some of them are doing print as well. I have a list e-publishers taking contemporaries. E-mail me if you want. And if they offer you a contract, it's not like you have to take it. Just sayin'.

    It'll get better, it just might take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lose mine all the time. Every time I get a rejection, it zaps whatever creativity I THINK I have. But I do get over it.

    And age is just a state of mind. You can be tired when you're twenty. Age has nothing to do with it. NOW GET MOTIVATED AND GET YOUR MOJO BACK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days I lose my mojo because I let myself get overwhelmed by the multiple tasks. Then I start with the smaller tasks and get back in the groove. Maybe it's time to just play for a bit. It will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your encouragement. I'm lucky to have such supportive people in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's easy to get feeling this way. When every tv show is geared toward 18-35, it's easy to feel old. I guess that's why I never watch the CW network. I like being 55. People don't expect so much out of me. I like that. If I screw up something, oh well, I'm old. Actually, it's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete