I want to blow up 2016.
I know a lot of people are saying what a horrible year it's been, especially with all the celebrity deaths. But, let's face it, famous people die every year. There's more to the hatred I have for this year than that.
Here is my list.
- My health took a turn for the worse. Chalk it up to getting older. Body parts are wearing out. I spent a week in the hospital in the spring going through a whole litany of tests. Diagnosis - a-fib. Not a death sentence, but something I have to deal with on a daily basis. Then in June I had oral surgery to remove a growth from the roof of my mouth. Fun stuff.
- The horrible shooting in Orlando at Pulse Nightclub. Of course, it wasn't the only one, but perhaps the worst. When are we going to reach some kind of common sense with our gun control laws?
- Terrorism. Nice, France, Germany and other places. I will never understand the minds of people who murder innocent souls to prove some political or religious point.
- Aleppo. How can you look at that death and destruction and not have your heart bleed for those people?
- Fires and floods. California, Tennessee, and Louisiana. So much destruction and loss of life. But, hey, climate change isn't real. Please.
- This year's election. What a disaster. The mud slinging, the e-mail crap, the pussy grabbing. There has to be a more civilized way to pick our elected officials. And, the results don't give me a "peaceful easy feeling" to quote the late Glen Frey and the Eagles.
- And if all that wasn't enough - the Cubs won the World Series. WTF
Next week I'll tell you what New Year's Resolution I've already given up on.