Friday, February 15, 2013

FRIDAY STIR FRY



stock vector : Theatrical mask on a red background. Mesh. Clipping Mask




I hate drama. Not the kind you see on TV or on the big screen, but the kind people create in their lives. I'm sure you all know a Drama Queen or King. They don't seem to be happy unless they are in the middle of some sort of confrontation, whether it's real or imagined. And they want to involve everybody in their little stage play.

I often scream in my head - GET OVER YOURSELF!!!

Because that's really what it's about. They want attention. They can't stand the thought of not being the center of every one's universe. I really think they get some sort of high from it like any compulsive behavior provides. Instead of shopping, gambling, drinking or drugs, they are hooked on fake drama.

Of course drama is a good thing to explore as a writer. Without some sort of drama in our writing, readers won't hang around for long. But, it needs to feel real. It has to have some sort of consequence attached to it. Will the hero defeat the bad guy and get the girl? Will truth and justice triumph in the end? Will the world recover from the zombie apocalypse? Give your reader something to care about and they will come back for more.

12 comments:

  1. I think that's why I was so hooked on The Bachelor this season. I wanted to watch the drama because it wasn't something I personally had to put up with, and I loved to hate it. I was just waiting for that moment when Sean actually realized how over-the-top Tierra was. It's been a coon's age since I watched that show, so I can justify this season. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched that show since Aaron Burgie was on. Nothing like reality tv for a fake drama fix.

      Delete
  2. I love your Friday Stir Frys/Fries? What a great idea. You always have a lot of great things to say. And I do know people who LOVE drama. Not happy unless they're miserable. Whether it's their misery or someone else's. Very sad and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm a drama addict, because now I'm curious who has been ticking you off and how. Maybe I should try watching The Bachelor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work right next to a drama queen and another just around the corner.

      Delete
  4. Love the post, Wanda, and it's oh, so true. I've known a few Drama Queens (and one Drama King--a former theatre teacher :)Being around them is very wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I don't have time for my own drama... let alone anyone else's. hehe.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just nominated you for a Liebster Award. Come to my blog to see what it's all about. http://sdkeeling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Drama queens are real pains in the you-know-what, except as characters in a story of course. It's kind of selfish to hog all the attention to oneself.

    ReplyDelete