Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Stir Fry - Re-writes

If somebody tries to tell you writing is easy, slap them in the mouth and walk away. They obviously don't know what they are talking about.
I'm currently trying to add 20,000 words to Beyond The Horizon, my book that I thought was finished. I've found out that at 56,000 words it is way too short for a single title contemporary romance.

There are so many writing rules to follow. Not only do I have to follow the rules of grammar, stay in one point of view and limit the use of 'ly' words, I have to follow some industry standard concerning the length of my work. But, if I ever hope to see this book of mine published I have to do this.  I must do this.
"But, how do I go about this monumental task?" you ask.

I am a pantser not a planner, so I'm kinda floundering. I started by adding a couple of scenes but,  in order for them to fit, I had to change a few things. Well, obviously that wasn't going to work. I could just see the lack of continuity baring it's ugly fangs. So now, I'm going through it word by word, page by page. Adding a word of description here and there; which isn't adding up to much. At this rate, I may have 76,000 words by the end of 2014.

If anybody has any words of wisdom or tricks of the trade, feel free to share them in the comment section. You'll be helping this writer in distress and possibly some one else.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like to me maybe you need some beta readers to take a look. Not for editing at this point, but for places you can expand the plot/characters/overall feel of the book etc. I don't know anything about contemporary romance, but I know Beth Carter and some of the other ORA/Sleuths' girls do! Reach out...we are your friends...what do you have to lose? It takes a FREAKIN VILLAGE to make these things work, ha! Nice post BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right. Another set of eyes might help.

      Delete
  2. Bump it to 60k, submit. Whoever you pitched to last year was a M-O-R-O-N. Times are changin', lady. Bot everything has to be 80 TO 100K anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point. I hate to add words just to add words. But there are a few slow spots that could use a boost.

      Delete