Friday, January 31, 2014

FRIDAY STIR FRY - What to do?

More Questions    
http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1238452

I've got lots of questions swirling in my head right now. What is the meaning of  life? Why do I procrastinate? When can I retire? Why is the sky blue? And finally, what should I do with my book?
 
It has been with a publisher since the last of November while I patiently waited for a reply as per their guidelines. (I think I've mentioned I hate publisher guidelines). I sent a follow up e-mail again per their instructions last week. Haven't heard a word. So, what do I do? Should I re-submit to another publisher? Should I query another agent? Should I publish on Kindle? Or should I just give up on it?
 
 The Kindle option is tempting but seems to involve quite the learning curve. Not sure I have the time or patience. Plus what about cover art? Pay someone or muddle through that on my own?
 
 I don't want to give up on it either. I think it's a story that needs to be told.
 
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
 
Suggestions?
 
 









 

7 comments:

  1. Submit to lots of publishers. Query lots of agents. Expect most of them to say no, because that's just the way it goes. Keep looking for the one who will say yes. Don't give up on the publisher who's looking at it, but don't put your other submissions on hold any longer while you wait for them.

    E-pub is definitely a viable option, but you have to make sure you're up for all the work that goes with it. It sounds like you're not too sure about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The meaning of life is 42, per Douglas Adams, you procrastinate because it's human nature, 'kay I got no answer for when you can retire (*I* get to retire when I'm dead), the sky is blue because of ions, and *cough* I do formatting and I work cheap. If you give me some kind of idea of what you want on a cover, I might be able to help with that too. I think the photos I found for Lisa when she wanted the banner done ended up around $20 or something. And I have lists and lists and lists of places you can promo if you want to indie publish. It's hard work, but I'm convinced it's not any harder than the promo you have to do working with a publisher too.

    You never, never, never, never, 'just give up'. That's no good. You're better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! You are my role model. Good luck tomorrow in Kimberly City.

      Delete
  3. I have five points for you:

    #1 Don't give up.

    #2 Keep submitting. If they haven't responded to at least two inquiries, I think you are perfectly within your rights to query more agents/editors. On your query at the bottom you can always say it's a multiple submission.

    #3 Self-pub if you want but that would mean hiring a cover artist, hiring a copyeditor and hiring help with formatting (in my case, anyway). I'll most never likely self-pub because of all that. I'd rather someone else do that work, plus I like having the backing of a publisher. Other authors like to be more independent. It depends on how much work you want to put into it. With a publisher, there's still plenty you'll have to do--editing, more editing, get involved with your "sisters" on very chatty loops, attend conferences, market, etc.

    #4 Read author profiles and you'll see how it took many successful authors YEARS before they were published. We've all trudged through the high snow.

    #5 Don't give up! It's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll see #'s 1 and 5 were worth repeating. :)

      Delete
  4. It is a game of waiting. Those who wait best - win.

    ReplyDelete