Friday, June 6, 2014

FRIDAY STIR FRY - Babysitting




Yep, you read that right. Me, the grumpy old woman, babysitting. Just once a week and only a few hours, but it's a mighty big step. Because I was an only child, I've never been comfortable around kids. That feeling worsened a few years ago.

Free Grandmother With Grandson Royalty Free Stock Photo - 14276285
http://www.stockfreeimages.com/14276285/

It's been at least ten years since I babysat my grandsons. They were two and four years old. I enjoyed playing cars, reading to them and rocking them to sleep. Then their dad kidnapped them and I haven't seen them since. I hardened my heart against getting hurt like that again. I avoided kids. But, a friend needed a hand and I agreed to help out. 

I'm glad I did. This little eleven month old girl is so cute and sweet. She can be a handful though. Surprisingly, we've both survived.

I'm not going to make this a regular thing. My energy level isn't what it used to be. But I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone for a little while. 

Is there something you avoid that maybe you should try?

PS - I'm participating in a blog hop that will post this coming Monday, so I hope you can come back and check that out. 

7 comments:

  1. Wanda, I'm sorry about your grandchildren. I have a similar concern now and then since my son and his wife divorced. I'm glad you've got a little one who will lavish you with kisses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie. It took me a long time to get over their absence. From time to time when I see a little red headed boy, I'm reminded.

      Delete
  2. The only way to make sure you never get hurt again is to avoid people. But then the cure is worse than the disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miss Wanda. Go you for stepping up and out of your comfort for someone else. Proud of you, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. I'll be glad when I'm done though. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Kids that age are a handful, even for just a few hours. So sorry to hear about your grandkids. That's terrible.

    ReplyDelete