Friday, August 1, 2014

FRIDAY STIR FRY - Excerpt Time

http://www.morguefile.com

I promised to post an excerpt from my work in progress on my Facebook page this week. I lied. This week flew by like a Sharknado. My internet was down at home for two days which makes it very difficult to access Facebook or this blog. Those are my excuses. At least while the internet was down, I got some writing done. 

This is from Coming Home. Jennifer is starting to doubt her commitment to her fiance'. 


        Scott pulled into the motel lot. "Can you be ready in fifteen?"

Jennifer stared at him. "Sure. I'll just crumple everything up and throw it into my bag."
She slammed the car door and unlocked her room. Sitting down on the bed she wondered what her next move should be. Did she really want to go back with Scott?  His actions made Jennifer wonder where his heart was -- not to mention hers. Perhaps a little time apart would clear her head? Plus she had to figure out what to do with that damn building.
Scott's car horn sounded. There's my answer.
Jennifer walked to Scott's side of the car. "I'm not going back yet."
"What are you talking about, Jennifer. Of course you're going back. I need to get back to the office and we have a lot of plans to make. Now pull yourself together and come on."
Jennifer crossed her arms and backed away from his car. She tightened her lips and shook her head. "I need a little more time here."
Scott stepped out of the car and ran his hand through his hair. "Jennifer, you're obviously not thinking clearly." He reached for her elbow. "Come on, I'll help you pack."
"No, Scott," she tried to sound forceful and stepped farther away from him. "Are you listening to the way you are talking to me? I'm not a child."
"Well, you're acting like one. There isn't anything here that can't be taken care of from Chicago. Let your lawyer earn his keep. Lord knows, he's probably charging us an arm and a leg."
"Us? Scott there is no us. This was my mother and this is my estate. You seem a bit too anxious to get your hands on it, if you ask me."
"I'm just being practical. One of us has to be."
Jennifer's resolve tightened like a cinched belt. "I'm not going to stand here and argue with you. I'll call you before I come home."
Scott finally managed to get a hold of her arm and jerked her closer.
"Ouch, Scott, let go."
Next thing Jennifer knew Ron grabbed Scott by the shoulder, spun him around and pinned his arm behind his back.
"That's not how we treat a lady around here."
"Let go." Scott spoke through clinched teeth. "Or I'll sue this flea bag motel right out from under you."
"Ron," Jennifer touched his shoulder.
He pushed Scott farther away from her before letting him go with a shove.
Scott caught himself on the fender of his car. He whirled around and pointed a finger at Ron. "This is none of your business."
"I don't know what the argument is about. I only know you weren't treating Jenny in a gentlemanly manner."
"What do you know about manners? You're so fresh off the farm, you stink of manure."
Ron put his hand into a fist and drew back his arm. Jennifer stepped between them.
"Stop it, both of you."
Ron dropped his arm to his side as he continued to stare at Scott.
"Let's get some things straight." She looked at Ron. "I don't need protecting." She turned to Scott. "And, I don't need to be told what to do. I'll see you in Chicago in a few days." Jennifer turned around and stomped back to her room. Slamming the door, she leaned against it, suddenly feeling drained.
                                                             
                                                       ***
Please feel free to comment below. You won't hurt my feelings. Well, not much. 


      





                                      

6 comments:

  1. Interesting, Wanda...made me want to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. It's pretty rough and not near finished. Not even sure where it's headed. Love flying by the seat of my pants.

      Delete
  2. Jennifer's a little feisty, isn't she? I love how she resolves the situation. May you experience many sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's starting to get feisty. It took her a while.

      Delete
  3. Arrogant men trouble! Glad she put 'em in their place ;) Good going, Wanda. Can't wait to see where it heads from here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming by Barb! It's always nice when the arrogant men get their due.

    ReplyDelete