Friday, December 5, 2014

FRIDAY STIR FRY - Work vs Art

http://www.morguefile.com




So I had a bit of a melt-down at work this week. And let me tell you, it wasn't pretty. I think I scared some people. Which is saying something because I have a bad reputation at work. Word on the street is I don't like anybody and you better not bother me. Both are pretty much true. Well sort of. I don't have close friends at work. There are people I tolerate because I have to. And I don't like to be bothered by stupidity or anal, control freak people. I'll do my job, you do yours.  

For those that don't know, I work in a social welfare job. Once in a while it is rewarding. Like when you know you are throwing a life line to a really needy person. That can make all the paperwork and dumbness worth it. But, sometimes nothing can block the frustration that boils to the surface. 

The phone has become my nemeses. I HATE IT! I get about 30 calls a day which I can't possibly answer. So I have voice mail. I specify on my recording to please leave only one message. Do they? No. I understand their need for an answer to their stupid question, but sometimes I just can't deal with it. This week I had stupid voice mail after stupid voice mail. I came close to tears at one point. I juggle three different jobs and when none of them are going right, well you know. 

I think part of the problem could be my frustration with my current work in progress. I failed to finish it during NaNo and I'm having a hard time getting into it. Some people would say put it aside and start something else. I can't. I need to finish it. It gnaws at my stomach and brain. Write me, write me.

Work and art are not playing well together right now. Any suggestions? 

1 comment:

  1. A lot of writers are hard-driven people. If you can't finish your novel in one month, take two or even three if you need it. The object of writing is not to win a race, but to deliver the highest quality of a manuscript possible. That may take more time.

    ReplyDelete