As I mentioned last week, my publisher closed shop, leaving me with three options: One - look for another publisher. Two - give up and tell everyone that I once was a published author or; Three - self publish Beyond The Horizon. Here are my top ten reasons I chose the last option.
10. I have more control over how my work is presented.
9. No pesky contracts.
8. I'm learning something new, which is a good thing at my age.
7. I've discovered friends with hidden talents like cover design and editing.
6. I'm finally going to have a print copy of my book for myself, friends, and family.
(BTH was e-book only)
5. I'm testing out different ways to sign my autograph.
4. I can still say I was traditionally published - although I don't think that carries as
much weight as it used to.
3. I can work at my own pace and set my own deadlines.
2. I can keep more of my royalties. Yea, money!
And the number 1 reason: No more rejection letters!
I will never forget the excitement of FINALLY landing a publishing contract and all I learned along the way. But, publishing has changed and unless you are a celebrity like Bruce Jenner, with a tell all book, or a well established author, the big houses aren't interested. And the small publishing companies are struggling.
If you are like me and just have a story begging to be read, self publishing might be our best option.