Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday Stir Fry - Camping



Okay, call me crazy. I've signed up for another National Novel Writing Month. But this one is a bit different. It's Camping! Well, virtual camping anyway. I'm not going to pitch a tent in the woods (that would be especially crazy considering our weather lately).

"What's different about camp?" you ask. Well for one, you can pick your own word count goal. Awesome! So instead of the arbitrary 50,000 words in 30 days, we can choose anything over 10,000 words. My goal - 20,000 fantastic words.

"Why 20,000?" you ask. (man, you ask a lot of questions) Because, I need to add that amount of words to my novel Beyond The Horizon to get it to 76,000 words and be more marketable to agents and publishers.

"But, I thought that book was done." Well, it is, Ms Smarty Pants. But, I have discovered that at 56,000 words it is too long for a novella and too short for a novel. Therefore, I am going to add more scenes and descriptions, dig deeper into my characters' psyche. Doesn't that sound like fun!

Another thing about camp is you can work on whatever you want. Unlike November when you are supposed to start a new novel, the camp counselors don't care what you work on. I've seen campers post they are going to work on something new, something old, non fiction, poetry, scripts. You name it, there is a camper planning on writing it in April.

I'll keep you posted each Friday about my progress. Aren't you excited? "Why, yes, yes I am."


camping
 
I might put up a bed sheet tent over my computer desk.  :-)

Here's a link if you want to check it out.

http://www.campnanowrimo.org/

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to camp. I signed up for 40,000 words since my WIP is at 20k already. I thought about going for 50k but I felt like that would be overzealous, since I haven't actually hit 50k in NaNo since '11.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm debating signing up. I do need something to kick start my writing again. I've completely stalled out the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.I have several projects going so not sure it would work. I'm working on two picture books and sorely need to edit my women's fiction. Of course, I'd love to start a new novel or add to my romantic suspense...but I've got to stop getting derailed. :)

    Good luck to all. Maybe we can have a write-in (or--two or three--in April).

    ReplyDelete