Friday, April 14, 2017

FRIDAY STIR FRY - Nice People Work Here


This Friday, I want to dedicate my blog to all the wonderful people I've met in bars. I don't mean the occasional sloppy drunk, but the people who work in bars and restaurants. The ones who can put a smile on my face and a beer in my hand.  
 
https://morguefile.com
 
I've been divorced for seventeen years now and am still single. Instead of sitting at home by myself all the time, I seek out nice bars to hang out in a few times a week. I've called several different places 'home'. The first was Applebee's. I made friends with all the bartenders and most of the wait staff. One in particular – Johnnie – became more like a son to me. We could talk to each other about anything. I would give him advice and he would do the same for me. Unfortunately, he moved away and I moved on to another hangout.
That's the nice thing about bars. They are kind of like churches. One on every corner. You just have to find the right one for you.
The next place, I not only made friends with the staff, but also many of the regulars. We became family. I still hold several of them near and dear to my heart. But, alas, I left there when the new owners and I didn't see eye to eye about the treatment of the staff.
My current home is Bair's. It's a little sports bar and grill located on the edge of the largest college in town. Everybody has welcomed me with a smile, and once in a while a hug (which is nice). In fact, the bartender last night gave me the idea for this post. Mikaela is awesome. She knows who she is and she is confident in what she does. She has even helped me with housework, since my knees limit me. She calls me 'dad'. Don't ask.

Most of these hard working people I've met and made friends with are twenty somethings, going to college, and just getting started in life. They are interesting and fun. Or as my parents would say "They are the salt of the earth." Talking to them keeps me young. So, as long as I can climb up on a bar stool, I'll keep making friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment