Friday, February 6, 2015

FRIDAY STIR FRY - Bad Knees - Not Bee's Knees

http://www.morguefile.com

Some of you may remember or heard the saying "That's the bee's knees." Basically it means, something is great or fantastic.


But, I'm not talking about anything like that today. I'm talking about my bad knees. I try not to dwell on the pain I experience every day because of bone on bone arthritis. I can remember my elders talking about the "Big A" and thinking they were just crazy. Now I know what they were talking about and boy I wish I'd been more compassionate back then.

I've dealt with this for about 10 years now. My doctor didn't want to replace my knees because of my weight, thinking recovery would just be too hard. I've had cortisone shots and other stuff done. All temporary fixes. And even with my best efforts in the past, including exercising, eating really healthy, Weight Watchers and other programs - I haven't been able to lose the weight. I think it's a hormonal imbalance, but what do I know. I don't have a fancy degree on the wall.

Today has brought a whole new level of pain. Don't know what happened last night, but my right knee popped as I walked to the kitchen and now it's swollen, sore and won't bend. And my really bad left knee isn't fairing much better. I needed help getting into the office today and except for one excruciating trip to the restroom, I've stayed at my desk. Of course everybody wants me to go to urgent care. I am holding on to the hope that it will be better tomorrow. (that song from Annie just popped into my head)

I hate to talk about this. Partly pride, partly the fact that it really makes me feel old and vulnerable.
I don't want people to feel sorry for me either. That's not why I'm posting this.
What I hope is maybe I can serve as a warning to others. Keep your weight under control and exercise. You may feel young and invincible now, but believe me, if you don't take care of yourself, you will pay for it.

Don't wait for tomorrow to do something you want to do. You may end up like me, unable to do much of anything. Okay, pity party over. I promise next week, I'll be my usual funny and snarky self.

One good thing - since I can't walk, maybe I'll get some writing done this weekend unless, that is, I binge watch Newsroom.

10 comments:

  1. Hang in there! You need to get yourself a really, really good robot to fix all your meals, take care of all your needs, including housework. Well, short of that I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully you can get another injection or something to help you get up and about soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. A robot would be wonderful whether or not I was laid up or not.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear that you're in pain. I hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what the answer is but I hate to see you in pain. We missed you last night. Things aren't the same when you don't show up. I know things aren't as easy as calories in calories out, but there has to be an answer to your problem. Just know I am thinking about you and hoping you find a solution so you can enjoy this beautiful life. Above all, don't give up. The Sun'll come out tomorrow, and tomorrow's just a day awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I was sorry to miss the party too. And thanks, I've got that song stuck in my head again.

      Delete
  4. Really sorry you are in pain, Wanda. But your post was excellent. It's a cycle: weight/bad knees; bad knees can't walk and gain weight. Hope things get better for you, but try some knee supports?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about a cycle - hard to do any exercise when in pain. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  5. So sorry you're going through that. I've been nursing a knee injury the last couple of weeks, but mine has already improved enough that I can walk normally most of the time. I hope you see some improvement soon.

    ReplyDelete